There are many reasons why oil changes are so important for any automobile. Not only do they maintain engine lubrication, but they can also improve gas mileage and help make your vehicle last longer.
You may be wondering you often you should change your oil in the Jenkintown, Abington, Glenside, or Philadelphia area. We’ll give you the answer below, along with signs that an oil change is needed at Faulkner Nissan Jenkintown as soon as possible.
HOW OFTEN TO CHANGE OIL
You’ll want to refer to your owner’s manual to see how often you should get an oil change. However, it’s generally recommended to get one every 5,000 to 7,500 miles. This can vary, though, based on the type of oil you use, as well your driving habits.
For instance, many vehicles that use synthetic oil can go as long as 10,000 miles before needing an oil change. On the opposite side of the spectrum, many cars that endure severe driving conditions may need this maintenance done every 3,000 miles.
WHAT’S A SEVERE DRIVING CONDITION?
There are several things that can describe “severe driving,” such as:
• Frequent idling, like when you’re in stop-and-go traffic
• Taking short trips of less than five miles in normal temperatures or 10 miles in freezing temperatures
• Taking long-distance trips at speeds of 50 MPH or less
• Frequently traveling on dusty, sandy, muddy, or gravelly roads
How much you carry in or on your automobile can also affect oil change frequency. If you tow trailers or campers or have items on a roof rack or car-top carrier, then you may need oil changes more often.
The more weight you have in your vehicle, the harder the engine needs to work. Which means you’ll need clean oil more frequently to help protect the engine’s moving parts. Consider lightening the load in your car, and you may not need oil changes as often.
SIGNS YOU NEED AN OIL CHANGE
Many modern automobiles have warnings that’ll appear on the dash, letting you know when an oil change is needed. If your vehicle doesn’t offer that piece of technology, there are ways to see when an oil change is needed.
These warning signs include:
• Ticking sounds when starting: As soon you start the engine, oil begins circulating. However, if the oil is gritty, this may take longer than normal. As a result, you may hear a ticking noise when you try to start your car.
• Loud engine noises: Oil is used to lubricate the engine’s many moving parts. Otherwise, the metal parts will start grinding against each other. If that happens, you may hear a loud knocking noise coming from the engine.
• Shaking while idling:
The high level of friction could also lead to the entire car vibrating when you’re idling. If this happens, avoid idling
as best you can until you get an oil change.
• Check engine light appears: While some cars don’t have an oil warning light or message, they’ll have a check engine light. If this light appears on the dashboard, it could be for a number of reasons, including needing an oil change. Get your vehicle checked out right away to see what the issue is.
SCHEDULE AN OIL CHANGE TODAY